The next stage in my hearing loss journey was the final evaluation and surgery. At the time my husband was terminally ill and everything evolved around his needs that took up all my energy and made for the most stressful days of my life. To this day I think I still push those memories to the back of my mind and refrain from dwelling on them too much.
I had to go through the surgery and what preceded it without spousal support. On the morning of the surgery the best thing was that my sister appeared in the hospital room just before I was wheeled to the operating theatre. She travelled over 200 km to be at my side and I will never forget that. She was still there when I came through after the surgery – very dizzy and completely unable to function all by myself.
Better than that even was that my very sick husband was also there albeit only for a short while. I later learnt that he collapsed at the entrance of the hospital when going home…
The hospital was terrible and I spent a fitful night unable to sleep with almost no assistance from the nursing staff.
I NEVER slept!! I suffered from terribly nausea, dizziness and blackouts whenever I tried to turn my head. I cried most of the night because there was no bell at my bedside and I couldn't get hold of anyone to help me. It was nothing short of a nightmare! In fact whenever I tried to close my eyes I had hallucinations and saw the most awful scarred faces!!
All I wanted was to get home to my own bed. The next morning I was still not able to stand up and was totally off balance. So much so that Prof. Swart was not over anxious to discharge me but my friends Edna and Phyllis promised that they would look after me and took me home. Prof. Swart personally pushed me to the car in a wheel chair. I can even remember him putting the safety belt on for me.
What bliss it was to get home with flowers everywhere and gifts to open! I immediately felt 100% better!
Once home I recovered quickly. I was however still quite off balance for a week after my surgery. There was no time to mope since Hennie was sinking fast. Three days after my surgery he was hospitalised again and I remember arriving at the hospital with the huge bandage still on my head!! I looked more like the patient than he did!
I cannot remember much about the time between surgery and hook-up since every moment was spent caring for Hennie as he faded fast and I knew that the time of his death was drawing closer by the minute.
You can read more about my emotions prior to the surgery here:
http://wia.viawias.com/cijourney.html
No comments:
Post a Comment